Ultra low humidity storage products do not require nitrogen to maintain the RH levels indicated within the specifications. However for applications that require extreme frequency of door openings and where plumbing permits, an optional nitrogen purge may be installed.
Ultra low humidity Storage/Desiccant cabinets have lower running costs. N2 is void of all oxygen, it is unable to absorb O2, and as a result it is less effective than desiccant when used as a drying agent. It is typically used under positive pressure to continually displace the oxygen in the cabinet. Dry cabinets are portable with casters, and do not require plumbing, so they can be moved to a new location whenever required. Ultra low humidity Storage cabinets will maintain their internal environment for extended periods (10 to 24+ hours) during power down situations, continuing to protect your components. Nitrogen cabinets use a constant positive pressure flow to void the cabinets of all O2; this nitogen flows out into the prouction facility, reducing the oxygen density in the area, potentially causing discomfort to the staff.
Saves labor; Trays and reels can be placed directly into the dry cabinet without having to be placed in MBBs. Saves cost; Less desiccant abd MBBs required. More secure, no need to be concerned with calcualtions to determine the correct amount of desiccant, the quality and remaining absorbency of the desiccant, and potential mis-sealing, or the possibility of punctures to the bag itself.
- Less costly than baking; with a monthly power consumption of only 40kW it’s considerably less expensive than long duration bake cycles.
- More efficient; Components are being dehumidified while they sit in inventory, always ready for the next run.
- More convenient; Operators will be more inclined to place components into cabinets rahter than taking the time to re- bag, especially for short duration exposures.
- Space saving; smaller outside dimensions than that of comparable burn in cabinets as a result of insulation, wiring, ect.
- Better quality; Baking SMD packages may cause oxidation or intermetallic growths to form, which can reduce solderability. Component cariers may cause out gassing during baking, again, effecting the solderability.
- Less concern; Standards suggest when baking between 90-125°C. A max time of 48 hours be observed, then deviations should be requested. With Ultra low humidity Storage Dry Cabinets there is no maximum to observe.
- Less handling; There is no need to transfer components from their standard packaging to high temp carriers in preparation for the bake, possibly introducing physical damage to the component itself.
Studies have shown that our technology, as designed into our dehumidification unit allows the cabinet to remain below to the operator set RH without any difficulties.
No, the desiccant is extremely well suited to the task and should perform under normal operating conditions for 10 years or more without replacement.